Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
A few weeks ago, I had the distinct pleasure to speak at the Greater Kentucky and Southern Indiana Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association’s Christmas luncheon. I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive about speaking in front of these people even though I knew many of them. However, the Alzheimer’s Association has done so much for Sarah and I that I had to do something else to show my appreciation. In spite of my disease, God has given me the skills to speak in public. Just like today’s passage proclaims, the Lord is my Rock and He has trained my hands, voice, and mind for this battle.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t proclaim all the Alzheimer’s Association has done to help me in my fight against this dreadful disease. Here are just a few of the things they have done for me and my family:
- Provided a wealth of information about the disease, what to expect in the later stages of the disease, how to get my legal and financial house in order, and how to continue living a meaningful life.
- Equipped me with unique coping skills to deal with my failing memory.
- Got me started on the Best Practices (take my medications, exercise vigorously, do mentally challenging activities, eat a Mediterranean diet, socialize frequently, and practice spiritual disciplines).
- Helped me find another 18 month clinical trial through the Trial Match program which I just completed.
- Encouraged my wife and me to start a Memory Café for folks in our area.
- Given me opportunities to help raise awareness and funds for the fight through our local Alzheimer’s Walks, the Longest Day event, educational opportunities, and advocacy.
- Encouraged me to continue writing, sharing my story, and encouraging others who are struggling with this disease.
Of course, none of this would have been possible without God’s divine intervention into my life. He has trained me to fight this disease, He continues to encourage me through His word, and He has brought me contentment even though I am facing one of the toughest battles of my life.
If you are struggling today, turn to the Lord for help. He will train and equip you for the future battles that lie on the horizon. He is your Rock and Refuge and He will never forsake you!